Friday, February 11, 2011

Punjabi Kadhi Pakora



Tops the list of my favourite food, kadhi ..Love it and so does my hubby
but he doesn't like eating it with Pakoras so i will give you a variation
too for those who want to make it without the pakoras n still so yummy to eat.

Ingredients:Serves 4-5
For the kadhi:
  • 3 Cups Sour Yoghurt/buttermilk(Keep yoghurt out of the fridge for sometime like 1-2 hrs it will turn a little sour )
  • 2 Cups water
  • 3/4 Cup besan(Chickpea/Gram flour)
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • ¾ tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/4 tsp Asfoetida(Hing)
  • 1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp Methi seeds
  • 4-5 whole red chillies
  • Salt to taste
For the pakoras
  • 1 Cup+ besan (chickpea/gram flour)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • ½ tsp red chilli powder
  • ½ tsp turmeric powder
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • Oil for frying
Method:
  • Mix the Besan with Yoghurt and give it just 1-2 churns in your blender,Add water to the mix so that it is of medium consistency its not thick and neither very thin. If you see any lumps, just let the mixture stand for a few minutes and then stir again,the lumps will dissolve.
  • Now take some Oil in a pan(Use a thick bottomed and wide pan) and add Cumin seed ,Asfoetida and add mustard seeds to it.Let it splutter.
  • Now add the Methi seeds to it (It gives a very nice flavour and adds to the taste) let it turn light brown ,be careful not to burn it.
  • Now add the Yoghurt and Besan batter to it and bring it to a boil while stirring it .
  • Turn the heat down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes to half hour, stirring occasionally to keep it from sticking to the bottom.

Variation: If you don't want to add pakoras then before adding the
batter to the pan you can add a thinly sliced onion into the pan
and cook it slightly you dont have to make it brown and then add
the batter to it .(I usually make it this way for the two of us )

For the Pakoras
  • To the besan add some water and make a thick smooth batter. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, chopped onion , and mix.
  • Heat the oil in a pan till just below smoking. You can test by putting a drop of the batter into the hot oil -- it should sizzle and rise to the top but not get browned right away.
  • Add the baking soda, and mix well. Drop batter by spoonfuls (I use a teaspoon) in batches to make small pakoras, not more than ¾ inches across. Fry till medium brown, and drain on a paper towel.
  • Do not add salt to the pakora batter for two reasons. One, it supposedly keeps them from sucking up too much oil.
  • Baking soda makes the pakoras light and soft. If you want a lower sodium version, and wish to avoid baking soda, beat the batter till light, and then add the chopped onions ,Fry similarly in hot oil.

For the final tadka (tempering):If you love it spicy..
1 tbs ghee or oil
3-4 Whole dried red chillies
¾ tsp (or to taste) Kashmiri mirch or regular red chilli powder
Method:

  • Heat Ghee in a pan add the whole red chillies to it ,fry them let it turn dark in colour and take it out .
  • Add cumin seeds and chilli powder to it ,turn off the heat.
  • Transfer the kadhi to the serving bowl. For the final flourish add the tadka just before serving it and add the fried red chillies.
  • Serve hot with rice.

1 comments:

Steve said...

Hi there Avika!

My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site Variety is the Spice of Your Life recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

Warm regards,
Steve

P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok